[San Francisco Values Black]
Without glossing over past failures and festering wounds, proud Americans Spieler and Kaplowitz, who care about our country’s future, offer their hope and active guidance for healing our national divisions and moving forward.
Photo: Book Cover
In “San Francisco Values: Common Ground for Getting America Back on Track” (Palmetto Publishing Group), coauthors Geri Spieler and Rick Kaplowitz examine the core beliefs that define the United States.
Conservative pundits routinely attack Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, “the most powerful woman in American politics” (The Christian Science Monitor), and talk trash about the city she represents in their rants against Democrats.
In the book, the authors show how the trailblazing history and values of the San Francisco Bay Area have shaped public opinion, influenced national policy, and made America a better country for citizens of all races and ethnic backgrounds, of different genders, and across the political spectrum.
Without glossing over past failures and festering wounds, proud Americans Spieler and Kaplowitz, who care about our country’s future, offer their hope and active guidance for healing our national divisions and moving forward with a commitment to moral courage, accountability and genuine patriotism. Despite being labeled as “ultra-liberal” (and worse) by the right, the authors firmly believe that “San Francisco deeply cares about the fundamental principles of our democracy and champions cherished American ideals.”
Grounded in extensive historical research, San Francisco Values illustrates:
1. How the San Francisco Bay Area became the first region to issue a shelter-in-place order during the current coronavirus pandemic.
2. How San Francisco Supports Health Care and Personal Choice for All, with attention to how “Healthy San Francisco” became the first municipal government program to provide health insurance for all its residents, as well as the pivotal role of Representative and Democratic dynamo Nancy Pelosi in the 2010 passage of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), and in securing Pandemic Unemployment Assistance for impacted Americans.
3. Why San Francisco Supports Immigration Reform, affirming the tradition of America’s welcoming culture, acknowledging its own shameful past exploitation of Chinese immigrants, and recognizing the urgent need for a solution to immigration issues.
4. How the San Francisco Bay Area Supports Our Troops, even while assessing military actions and protesting unjust wars, with a focus on its breakthrough programs to alleviate PTSD, substance abuse and homelessness among veterans.
5. San Francisco’s outstanding political voices—Senator Kamala Harris and Mayor London Breed among them—and acknowledge San Francisco’s current problems with the lack of affordable housing and homelessness.
6. Quotes from Bill O’Reilly, Nancy Pelosi, Grover Norquist, Tammy Duckworth, Amy Way, and St. Francis.
7. How San Francisco Celebrates Love and Families in All Their Diversity, and how Americans followed San Francisco’s lead in supporting same-sex marriage across the country.
8. Why the San Francisco Bay Area Leads the Nation in Innovation, and how it has given birth to iconic companies and spurred business revolutions.
Spieler, is an investigative journalist and award-winning speaker who has written for the Los Angeles Times, San Francisco Chronicle, Forbes, and Truthdig.com.
Kaplowitz has served as a vice president in both academia and technology. He holds a doctorate in Education and Management from Harvard University. Spieler and Kaplowitz are married and are San Francisco Bay Area residents. For information, please visit: https://sanfranciscovalues.us/.