[Let America Vote]
Muller: “Trump’s own intelligence community makes it clear: Donald Trump, Attorney General Bill Barr, and Vladimir Putin are working from the same playbook to undermine our elections by spreading lies and intentional disinformation about vote-by-mail.”
Let America Vote President Tiffany Muller released the following statement on a new intelligence community assessment that finds vote-by-mail disinformation is nothing more than part of a foreign propaganda campaign aimed at undermining the integrity of our elections.
“Trump’s own intelligence community makes it clear: Donald Trump, Attorney General Bill Barr, and Vladimir Putin are working from the same playbook to undermine our elections by spreading lies and intentional disinformation about vote-by-mail. They are using what we now know are false Russian talking points to suppress the vote when the truth is that voting by mail is safe, tested, and secure. In fact, all 50 states have long had some form of mail voting and 31 million Americans voted-by-mail in 2018.
“Americans are expected to turnout in unprecedented numbers to vote this year, including by mail, and that’s exactly what Trump and Russia are afraid of.”
The September memo, obtained by ABC News, states that Russia has sought to “amplify” false information about vote-by-mail to undermine public confidence in our elections. As ABC notes, the latest intelligence bulletin represents Russia “again echoing a frequent and unfounded complaint raised by President Donald Trump.”
- Vote-by-mail is safe, secure, and has long been used in some form in all 50 states
- The Brennan Center for Justice found that the risk of voting fraud is 0.00004% to 0.0009%.
- Even the conservative Heritage Foundation’s own database found just .000006% of the tens of millions vote-by-mail ballots cast over the past two decades were fraudulent.
- Five states–Colorado, Utah, Oregon, Washington, and Hawaii–have voted entirely by mail, and more have joined them this cycle due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In fact, Republican Sens. Mitt Romney, Mike Lee, and Cory Gardner were all elected under vote-by-mail.
- Our soldiers have voted by mail all the way back to the Civil War.
- 31 million Americans voted-by-mail in 2018. 250 million Americans have voted by mail since 2000.
- In addition to Barr, Donald Trump, Mike Pence, and several top White House and campaign aides all vote by mail.
- As states have expanded their use of mailed ballots over the last decade, both parties have enjoyed a small but equal increase in turnout.